Thank you for your kind thought of giving a pet a forever home. Look at what is available in the kennel. Our kennel manager is there to assist you, but please remember that most of these animals are strays and we have very little history on
When you have decided on a pet (or two)- take note of the kennel number and proceed to reception.
Complete an ADOPTION APPLICATION FORM and pay the adoption fee.
If you don’t have it with you – fax proof of residence to 086 502 1714 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (municipal account, cellphone account, clothing account, etc.)
An inspector will do a property check
On approval your new pet will be booked for sterilisation and you can collect him/her the next day
- Your property must be enclosed and the fences high enough to prevent the dog getting out
- We don’t reject owners, but we can reject a property
- We do not allow our adopted dogs to be chained
- If you are renting the property, your landlord must give consent for you to keep a pet
- If you cannot afford a private vet, or already use the SPCA vet, your application will be declined
- If you already have a dog, please choose one of the opposite sex. Same sex dogs do not cohabit peacefully!
- We do not home dogs for commercial security purposes
- We do not allow adoptions as gifts for other people
- You cannot give the adopted pet to anybody else. If you can longer keep it, it must be returned to the SPCA
- Puppies and kittens can only go to their new homes at 8 weeks old. A contract must be signed to the effect that it WILL be returned to the SPCA for sterilization on a given date.
- All animals adopted from an SPCA must be sterilised (this is the law in South Africa and NOT negotiable)
Please consider the following
- Who is going to look after the puppy/kitten if you work all day? It needs 3 or 4 feeds a day. An adult will suit you better
- If you are an active person, a high energy dog will suit you
- If you are a couch potato, i;! low energy dog will suit you better
- If you are a keen gardener, stay away from the terrier breeds – they love to dig!
- If you have young children, choose a gentle and tolerant dog
- If you are an elderly person, please choose an adult dog-trust me, you will not be able to handle a puppy!
- If you go away frequently, take into account the cost of boarding your pets while you are away
- Pets must have annual vaccines and de-worming and can get sick- factor that into your budget
- A good quality pet food contributes to a long life and fewer visits to the vet
- We do not recommend taking two puppies or kittens from the same litter- it often leads to sibling rivalry in later years.
- Rather choose another one from a different litter
- We recommend adopting kittens in pairs – especially if you are working all day
- “Ugly” animals often make the best companions! “Beauty is … as beauty does”
ADOPTION COST INCLUDE
- Property check
- Sterilisation (Spay/Neuter)
- Vaccination + de-worming
- Collar+ Lead
- ID Tag
- 2 weeks free veterinary treatment in case of illness
- Post home property check